A Day In My Life – Summer Holidays, Day 2


On the first day of summer holidays, my son, J, and I made a deal. No attitude and no negativity today. Well, it started out well enough, and then…

He woke up in a good mood yesterday even though he didn’t sleep very well. Did I mention that he slept in my room that night because he had a master nightmare the night before?? No, well, he did. Which means I didn’t get any sleep either because he tosses and turns all night long and I always end up with bruises from him kicking me so much in his sleep. So my shins hurt yesterday too.

Anyway, he woke up, had breakfast, and I asked him to empty his backpack from school because we were too busy to get to it on the first day off. He did it. And it only took him until lunchtime to finish.

Because he was so frustrated, I had to stop what I was doing to help him out for two hours. Well, that was two hours of my day that were gone and I didn’t get my own work done.

Just as I was about to ask him to help me move furniture so I could vacuum, I got an email from one of the baseball coaches, asking me to fix up a tournament schedule. Ok, no problem. Actually, there was a problem. He sent me a PDF. Have I mentioned how much I hate PDFs?? Well, I do. And here’s why.

Most computer illiterate people don’t realize that PDFs are not meant to be changed. PDFs are more for sending out electronic flyers to announce something, like a celebration, a birthday, or a community event. It is very hard to re-format a PDF into something that can be edited. And because I don’t have the original Excel sheet, I couldn’t do my job. I fought for hours trying to find an app or a program to help me edit this stupid schedule. And every time, I got a pop-up saying that the document cannot be edited. Baseball mom fail number one of the day.

By the time I emailed the coach back, I was so aggravated that I told J to get his shoes on because we were going for a walk. I needed to get out of the house and get some fresh air. I even left my phone at home so I didn’t have to deal with the aftermath.

About ten minutes into our walk, J said, “hey, that’s Mason’s house.”

To which I replied, “who is Mason?”

J, my wonderful son who used to get me and be patient with me, snapped. With his hand on his hip and snarkiness in his voice, he gave me a look that told me I was the most uncool mother who ever lived. And then he huffed. Yes, he huffed at me.

I kept walking a few more steps and then I stopped dead in my tracks. I couldn’t let this one go. So I told J that his attitude better change or this would be the longest summer ever. I also said that he’s not going to have many friends if he keeps talking to people like they’re stupid.

And I did – I felt stupid after how he reacted to me. That’s not cool, coming from a nine year old. He sounded like one of his friends that I’ve had to deal with. So I nipped that attitude in the bud because I won’t allow my kid to talk to people that way. (No, I don’t need your parenting advice about this, but thanks anyway.)

Day two didn’t go exactly how I had planned. Here’s hoping for a better day today.


Talk To Me...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s