Life With My Crazies – Expect The Unexpected 


Christmas Day was stressful enough as I stood in the kitchen and thought about how to time everything perfectly so that the entire meal would be cooked and ready all at the same time. 

I had the turkey in the oven, the carrots in the slow cooker, and I was about to boil a pot of water for the potatoes when it happened – my worst fear – the power went out. 

My guests sat around the kitchen table in the dark and laughed as I stood over the oven, staring inside at the bird, and I felt like weeping. 

I remembered back to the last time my power went out and it was gone for almost two hours. If the power was out for two hours this time, we wouldn’t be eating until about 9pm. To me, that was unacceptable. 

MM and my brother-in-law brought all the gifts upstairs to the front room so everyone could unwrap presents in a room full of light instead of the deep, dark, depths of my downstairs family room. And that’s what we did for 45 minutes while we waited for the power to return. 

Just as I was considering the idea of putting the turkey on the BBQ, the beeping from a million different electronics sounded, alerting me to the fact that the power was back on. Finally. 

MM’s sister (the one who invited herself) had made some snacks including cookies, tarts, and other goodies that she refilled on a platter as the day wore on. She had initially told me that I had to put them out as needed, but I corrected her, saying that was her job for the day. 

At the end of the day, she told me to wash up her containers so she could pack them away and take them home. I looked her in the eye, shook my head in disbelief, and I told her to put them near the sink, that eventually someone will get to them. I was too tired at the end of the day to fight with her stupidity. God forbid she lift a damn finger while she stayed with us for four days. And she didn’t. MM ended up washing her containers for her before he went to bed and after I told him that she’s fully capable of washing her own fucking containers. 

But I digress…

Yes, after about 45 minutes of sitting in a darkened house, the power came back on and I continued with dinner. We ate a little later than expected, but everyone seemed fine with the minor schedule change. 

Luckily, MM and my own sister helped to clean the kitchen after dinner as I relaxed with a steaming cup of coffee. It was the nicest moment I had all day. It felt great. 

Oh, and did I mention that my coffeemaker broke down exactly one hour before everyone had arrived?? Well, it did. And I was none too happy about it. 

My mind whirled as I drove around the city trying to find some place that was open where I could buy a coffeemaker, but I had no such luck. 

Begrudgingly, I called my mom and asked her to bring over her coffeemaker and accessories so I had coffee for my guests. I think my mother was just happy to not have to cook so she pleasantly agreed, telling me it was no problem. 

It has been the longest week of my life and I am so grateful it’s over. I will not be doing this again anytime soon. 

Actually, I’ve already booked my trip to Mexico for next Christmas. I’m skipping Christmas 2017. 


Talk To Me...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s